According to the Law on Local Self-Government, "Municipality" is a unit of local self-government, as a community of inhabitants of a certain area, determined by law, which through its bodies and through the administration and organized public services, enables the performance of competencies prescribed by law. The municipalities are legal entities and perform their competencies through bodies elected directly by the citizens.
- The municipality regulates the performance of its competencies with the statute and other regulations.
- The statute of the municipality regulates:
- the organization and operation of the municipal bodies, the organization and operation of the council commissions;
- performing the activities referred to in Article 20 of the Law on Local Self-Government; the manner of informing the citizens;
- cases of exclusion of the public from the sessions of the council;
- the manner and procedure for submitting complaints and proposals for the work of the municipal bodies and acting upon them;
- the manner of organizing public debates, conducting surveys and collecting proposals from citizens;
- the manner of performing the obligations in the field of defense in a state of war, as well as other issues of importance for the local self-government.
- Municipal regulations are published before they enter into force.
- The manner of publishing the regulations is regulated by the statute.
The municipality is responsible for performing the following activities:
- Urban (urban and rural) planning, issuing approvals for construction of buildings of local importance determined by law, spatial planning and arrangement of construction land;
- Protection of the environment and nature, in terms of taking measures to protect and prevent pollution of water, air, land, nature protection, protection from noise and non-ionizing radiation;
- Local economic development, in terms of planning the local economic development, setting development and structural priorities, conducting local economic policy, supporting the development of small and medium enterprises and entrepreneurship at the local level and in that context participating in the establishment and development of local network of institutions and agencies and promotion of partnership;
- Communal activities, in terms of drinking water supply, technological water delivery, wastewater drainage and treatment, stormwater drainage and treatment, public lighting, maintenance of public cleanliness, collection, transportation and handling of municipal solid and technological waste , arranging and organizing the public local transport of passengers, maintenance of graves, cemeteries and provision of funeral services, construction, maintenance, reconstruction and protection of local roads and streets and other infrastructure facilities, regulation of the traffic regime, construction and maintenance of street traffic signalization, construction and maintenance of public parking space, removal of illegally parked vehicles, removal of damaged vehicles from public areas, construction and maintenance of markets, cleaning of chimneys, maintenance and use of parks, greenery, park forests and recreational areas, regulation, maintenance and use of riverbeds in urbanized areas, determinations is the names of streets, squares and other infrastructure facilities;
- Culture, in terms of institutional and financial support of cultural institutions and projects, nurturing folklore, customs, old crafts and similar cultural values, organizing cultural events, encouraging various specific forms of creativity;
- Sports and recreation, in terms of development of mass sports and recreational activities, organization of sports events and manifestations, maintenance and construction of sports facilities, as well as support of sports unions;
- Social protection and child protection, in terms of financing, investments, maintenance and ownership of kindergartens and homes for the elderly, realization of social care for disabled people, children without parents and parental care with educational and social problems, with special needs, from single-parent families as well as street children, persons at social risk, affected by drug and alcohol abuse, raising public awareness, housing of persons at social risk, exercising the right and raising pre-school children;
- Education, in terms of establishing, financing and administering primary and secondary schools in cooperation with the central government, in accordance with the law, as well as organizing transportation and food for students and their accommodation in dormitories;
- Health care, in terms of managing the network of public health organizations and primary health care facilities in which the municipality is represented in all boards of all publicly owned health organizations, health education, health promotion, preventive activities, protection of workers' health and occupational safety, environmental health surveillance, communicable disease surveillance, assistance to patients with special needs and other areas defined by law;
- Carrying out preparations and taking measures for protection and rescue of citizens and material goods from military destruction, natural disasters and other accidents and their consequences;
- Fire protection performed by the territorial firefighting unit;
- Supervision over the performance of activities within the competence of the municipality;
- Other matters determined by law.